Which Airport?

Up with Mr. Grump

Up with Mr. Grump

Poor little Spud.  It seems when Daddy has to head off on a trip that the kidlets go through a period of adjustment.  Today was my first day on the job without my grandchildren’s daddy present.  Wouldn’t you know that little Spud woke up crying at 6:10 a.m.  He wanted his mommy.  Well, Mommy was in the process of getting ready to head off to the hospital for work.  Rather than let him cry and wake up his sister, we whisked him out of the bedroom and I cuddled with him for awhile in the living room.  That worked for awhile but soon he was plastered up against the garage door crying for Mommy.  I finally got him calmed down with a cup of milk and a Baby Einstein DVD.

As we sat there watching the video, I heard a knock on the front door.  Hmmm, Daddy had already left for the airport a little after 4 in the morning.  I opened up the door a crack and there stood Grandpa B. who had taken their dad to the airport.  “Oh,” I said.  “Did he get off ok?”

“Well, not really,”  he replied.  “He’ll be back in about 2 hours.”  I didn’t wait to hear the rest of the explanation because the mosquitoes were gathering to launch an assault through the front door.  I shut the door in his face.  I REALLY feel bad about that.  In my defense, I wasn’t totally awake yet.

Someone is exhausted

Someone is exhausted

Sure enough, several hours later Daddy showed up.  He had gone to the wrong airport.  When he realized his mistake and they had hightailed it to the other airport (and nothing is a short distance apart in this part of Texas), the ticket counter was already closed down.  He finally found an employee but they told him that it would be impossible for him to still catch the flight because he had luggage that needed to be checked and it was too late for that.  Poor Jason even offered to leave his bag with his father-in-law if that would get him on the flight but they wouldn’t budge.

So home he came and he’ll fly out tomorrow instead.  It was actually nice to have him home for another day and the children were very happy to see him, too, as was his wife.  He was just plain exhausted since he had gotten up at 3 in the morning and he’ll have to repeat that tomorrow morning.

Playing "Go Fish"

Playing “Go Fish”

The children had a full day though playing with their friend, Andrea and then playing with us.  Grandpa and Gammie took them later in the afternoon to see some tennis matches that their aunt is involved with as a coach.

I LIKE these shoes.

I LIKE these shoes.

But before Grandpa would take them to see the tennis games, Luke had to relinquish his sister’s shoes.  He LOVES filching people’s shoes and wearing them around the house.  He was wearing a pair of cowboy boots all morning and then he found these in the afternoon.  A pair of Mickey Mouse crocs were the ante needed to get the slippers off his feet.

Tonight everyone is pretty tired.  Little Spud did NOT want to go to sleep though.  He was carrying on a bit and I kept hearing Sweet Pea telling her brother, “You need to be quiet because I’m pretty tired and I want to go to sleep.”

I finally went in there and sat on the floor next to his little bed and told him I’d just cuddle with him a little while, until he relaxed.  His sister snuggled down in her bed and then she started to perk up.  There is usually music playing softly and a little dog night light that changes colors plugged into the wall.  Sweet Pea said, “What are you doing, Nana?”

I told her, “I’m enjoying the music.  Ssssh, so you can enjoy it too.”

Then she wanted to know what I was looking at.  Hmmm, I told her that Nana was watching the doggie change colors.

I glanced over a few minutes later and there was Sweet Pea on her stomach with her head propped up on her hands just gazing at the night light.  Every so often, she’d reach down and pat her brother on the head.

Moments like this are priceless.





Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: